I've been wondering lately...what is prejudice? Some people believe it is prejudice against the color of skin, the type of language that comes out of their mouth, their choice in life partner/eternal companion, religion, lifestyle...
The technical term(s) for Prejudice:
-Their choice of an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
-Any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
-Unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.
So the reason for this post is because I have had a lot of instances of prejudice in my life these past few weeks, and wanted to say something about it, I'm confused, and torn, and need to get some things off my chest... and that is the beauty about my blog, and this country, free speech.
I want to know why some religions/sects/people teach acceptance for one thing and not another, why can't we accept everyone, their looks, their choices... Why do parents push away their child because of their choice in partner, black, white, same sex, or choice in profession, or religion? Why do people reject employment opportunities, or an employee because of prejudice? Mr. Darcy didn't like Lizzy in the beginning because of her status in life, her lack of fortune, connections, and Lizzy didn't appreciate him in the beginning because he was so proud, so rich, instead of giving each other the benefit of the doubt and seeing beyond, they could have saved each other a lot of heart ache and confusion. They were brought up that way, we all were. Can we all just look and feel beyond what the norm is? I love to see my daughter give her black friends exciting hugs at the bus stop and be full of pleasure to see them, and not ask me, "mom, why is their skin dark?". She sees beyond it, they both do, don't even notice the difference, because her parents don't. We don't make a big deal about the differences in people, now more than ever, because our children are so impressionable. I'm not saying we are perfect, we are far from it, I still have prejudices, things I need to work on, but after the week I've had, it will be easier for me.
I am sick of people close to me being hurt, and am sick of being confused about what to follow, what to do, what choices to make, who I should listen to, being told what to do and how to live my life. I've had just about enough.
The war against prejudice is never-ending.
1 comment:
Lindsay. I know what you mean when you say all these things...but it is a fact of life and unfortunatly it will never change or get better. Call me and we can chat about all the "prejudices" we've encountered. I'm curious to know what, exactly, is bothering you.
Post a Comment