Monday, November 3, 2008

Just Venting....

Without trying to sound like a bitter harpy, I would like to take this moment to use my freedom of speech on MY blog and say some things that are on my mind.

First of all if any of you are not of my faith, you may get a little lost on some things here, but give it a try.

Without going into all the spiritual details of it, in our church, our leaders, teachers, anyone who does something for the church, or what we call callings, are not paid, it is a volunteer basis only, the head of our church is not even paid. They ask us if we would like to teach the 7 year olds and we accept or decline. Well lately there has been a new thing the Elders Quorum has been doing and that is assigning families to feed the missionaries, not asking us, but assigning us, feed them by 5 and provide the contact for them, not inquiring if we are home that evening or have the inclination to do it. I am definitely not against feeding the sweet wonderful missionaries, in fact Matt and I love to feed them, when we have the time. But let me explain our schedule to you.
Monday: My only day off, I try to catch up on laundry, do my grocery shopping, get the kids off to school and picked up, clean the house, and just catch up. Matt, he picks up a shift at the fire station from 7am to 1 then comes home to have lunch and leaves for work at 145 to come home at 11pm.
Tues: school for me 730 to 530, home to say good bye to Matt as he's off to the station for an extra shift on his day off, 6pm to 6 am
Wed: Same as Tues.
Thurs: School again from 730 to 530 come home and pick up the girls at the sitter. Matt takes care of the kiddos until 145 when he goes to work until 11pm
Friday: Same as Thurs.
Sat: School from 7 to 2, Matt drops the girls off to me at school on his way to work. I go home with the girls and spend what time I get with them until bed time.
Sun. Try to have a breakfast together, seems the only meal we can get together. Let my exhausted husband sleep in, he deserves it for supporting me so hard in my schooling. Play as a family for a while. Get ready for church from 1 to 4, Matt goes until 140 then leaves for work. Get home fix dinner, play games or read books with what ever time I have left and put the kids to bed, only to start over again the next week.
So there you have it. That is why we cant be volunteered for. Thank you.

Now, about voting. I know it's important, I know. So when I go to church to enjoy a lesson in RS, I don't need to be told, "Tuesday is Nov 4, remember to go vote, it's important to do it, our prophet has counseled us to go vote...blah blah blah" and so forth. What if I don't vote. And what if I have no intention of it, because... maybe, I don't know, because I don't want to do jury duty. (audible gasp) K, so I don't need to be reminded to vote. There are enough ads on TV, in people's yards, in overheard conversations, on people's cars... K, so I know. We know. Thanks for the reminder anyways. And to top off my oh so happy mood... I have mice in the apartment. Yes, I said mice. I HATE, LOATHE DESPISE, rodents, cockroaches, bugs, spiders... I freak out over them, so right now, Matt and I are waging war against rodents...don't know how many, but we will prevail!! Thank you for letting me rant. I am normally a happier blogger, however, I just had to get this off my chest. (BTW, i do intend to vote, thanks for caring).

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Lindsay, Ned here. A) if it makes you feel any better about anything at all -- I am not voting and I don't feel a BIT bad about it. And anyone who reads this and has beef with my non-voting, and wants to talk - give me a call. B) I am totally against what your ward is doing and am a little disgusted by it. If I were you I would tell them "no". You don't have the time to do it and that is that. That bit of service has nothing to do with your eternal salvation. You do what you can do and not more. You are busy and shouldn't be forced to do that. Don't have an attitude about it -- just tell them that you regretfully decline to feed the missionaries. Wow, I am not even in your ward and I am pissed. P.S. your kids are adorable. Ned

janaeg said...

Okay so I am laughing but in a good way, I so get what you are saying and I agree whole heartedly... So our Elders Quorum has done the same thing only instead of it being feeding the missionaries, they have decided to take the list of all couples who have been given temple recommends and assign them in groups alphabetically to do the monthly ward temple assignment. Which of course is usually during the day when the guys are working and the women are at home with the kids... And they don't give them a choice. They just decided that people were signing up and they were tired of calling around to fill the assignment so they would just assign them out and oh well if that time doesn't work out for you. Of course those of us that didn't get recommends in this ward or stake are getting skipped over because they don't have the record of our recommend... :-) I want to go, but like you and the dinners I want to be able to work it into my schedule and not be told this is the day that you have to do it. Of course at the same time, I feel like it does force us to make it a priority when we might not, but still it should be our choice, that is what agency is all about. Anyway, all that to say I agree with you.

Jamie said...

(big breath out) things always seem better when you get them off your chest. i get what your saying. you have a HUGE schedule right now, and you can only do so much. your ward members need to realize YOUR situation, and you have young kids, and you're in a VERY different season of your life right now. i hope things work out, they will!!!
john and i have sure been thinking about you A LOT latley! we miss you so dang much!
your a tough nut! love your guts!

ConnecticutUre's said...

I am glad you were able to get that off your chest. We have mice too, but they live in the attic, and we put poison up there and then they leave and DIE!!

Love you,
Loni

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR GUTS!

Courtney said...

I agree with you when it comes to the missionary schedule. I'm having a baby soon, and don't want to be assigned. Who knows what my life will be like then.

Lindsay Sprague said...

LINDSAY IS TO NICE... I WAS VERY NOT HAPPY AND WAS GOING TO HANDLE IT MY WAY BUT SHE SAID NO I WILL HANDLE IT. BUT NEXT TIME OH YOU WAIT...........

Unknown said...

Love your venting..maybe on one of your days off you can come over for lunch! I always love an excuse to cook!